No.428 Squadron

In a shroud, a death’s head
Badge
In a shroud, a death’s head
Motto
Usque ad finem - To the very end
Formed
07 November 1942
Disbanded
05 September 1945

Formed at RAF Dalton on 7 November 1942 as part of No. 4 Group, No. 428 “Ghost” Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force was transferred to No. 6 (RCAF) Group on its formation on 1 January 1943.

The Squadron carried out night bombing of enemy targets for the remainder of the War, ceasing operations on 25 April 1945, about a fortnight before VE Day. Members of No. 427 Squadron won around 200 decorations for valour. For example, on the night of 8 April 1943 Sgt L.F. Williamson safely piloted a Wellington back from Duisberg with its rear turret and most of its rear fuselage blown off. For this he was awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal.

In June 1945 No. 428 Squadron RCAF flew back to Canada and on 5 September, three months later, was disbanded at Yarmouth in Nova Scotia.


AIRCRAFT

Wellington III/X 1942 - 1943
Halifax V/II 1943 - 1944
Lancaster X 1944 - 1945


Reference Sources

The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force
James J Halley Air Britain (Historians) Ltd 1988

RAF Squadrons
Wg Cdr C G Jefford Airlife 2001

Bomber Squadrons of the RAF and their aircraft
Phillip J R Moyes Macdonald & Jane’s 1976

« back to all squadrons