No.683 Squadron

In front of a mullet of six points, a telescope in bend
Badge
In front of a mullet of six points, a telescope in bend
Motto
Nihil nos latet - Nothing remains concealed
Formed
08 February 1943
Disbanded
30 November 1953

No.683 Squadron was formed from B Flight, No 69 Squadron at Luqa, Malta on 8 February 1943. It operated as a photographic reconnaissance covering all areas of the Mediterranean from Malta. In briefly moved to Tunisia, before landing in Italy on 20 December 1943. It remained there for the rest of the war. On 21 September 1945 it disbanded.

On 1 August 1950 the unit reformed as a survey unit based at Fayid, Egypt. It covered many areas of Africa and Arabia. In December 1951 it moved to RAF Khormaksar, Aden. In May of the following year it moved to Iraq before disbanding on 30 November 1953.


AIRCRAFT

Spitfire IV/XI/XIX 1943 - 1945
Mosquito IV/VI 1943 - 1943
Lancaster PR 1 1950 – 1953
Valetta 1950 – 1953


Reference Sources

The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force
James J Halley Air Britain (Historians) Ltd 1988

RAF Squadrons
Wg Cdr C G Jefford Airlife 2001

Coastal Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their aircraft
John D R Rawlings Jane’s Publishing 1982


« back to all squadrons