No.158 Squadron

A circular chain of seven links
Badge
A circular chain of seven links
Motto
Strength in unity
Formed
04 September 1918
Disbanded
31 December 1945

No 158 Squadron formed at RAF Upper Heyford on 4 September 1918 as a ground attack unit. The unit did not become operational before the war’s end and was disbanded in November 1918.

On 14 February 1942 No 158 Squadron reformed at RAF Driffield as a bomber unit. The squadron was involved in the strategic bombing offensive for the rest of the war. In May 1945 it began to re-equip as a transport squadron. It began transport operations in July 1945 to the Middle East and India. The squadron disbanded on 31 December 1945.


AIRCRAFT

Various types 1918 - 1918
Wellington II 1942 – 1942
Halifax II/III/VI 1942 – 1945
Stirling V 1945 – 1945


Reference Sources

The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force
James J Halley Air Britain (Historians) Ltd 1988

RAF Squadrons
Wg Cdr C G Jefford Airlife 2001

Bomber Squadrons of the RAF and their aircraft
Phillip J R Moyes Macdonald & Jane’s 1976

« back to all squadrons