No.157 Squadron

A lion rampant chequy
Badge
A lion rampant chequy
Motto
Our cannon speak our thoughts
Formed
14 July 1918
Disbanded
16 August 1945

No 157 Squadron formed at RAF Upper Heyford on 14 July 1918 as a ground attack unit. The unit did not become operational before the war’s end and was disbanded on 1 February 1919.

On 13 December 1941 No 157 Squadron reformed at RAF Debden before moving to RAF Castle Camps. This unit was the first equipped with night fighter Mosquito aircraft. It began patrols over East Anglia in April. In July of the following year it added some fighter-bombers to its strength to allow it to go on the offensive with night intruder missions over France and the Low Countries. In March 1944 it moved to RAF Valley to undertake defensive patrols over the Irish Sea area. In May it returned to East Anglia and joined No 100 Group. It provided support for the main bomber force for the rest of the war. On 16 August 1945 the unit disbanded.


AIRCRAFT

Salamander 1918 - 1919
Mosquito II/VI/XIX/30 1942 - 1945


Reference Sources

The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force
James J Halley Air Britain (Historians) Ltd 1988

RAF Squadrons
Wg Cdr C G Jefford Airlife 2001

Fighter Squadrons of the RAF and their aircraft
John D R Rawlings Crecy Books 1993

« back to all squadrons