No.155 Squadron

A sword enfiled by a serpent nowed biting its tail
Badge
A sword enfiled by a serpent nowed biting its tail
Motto
Eternal vigilance
Formed
14 September 1918
Disbanded
03 June 1959

No 155 Squadron formed at Chingford on 14 September 1918 as a bomber unit. The unit did not become operational before the First World War ended and the unit disbanded on 7 December 1918.

On 1 April 1942 No 155 Squadron reformed at RAF Peshawar, India as a fighter unit. It did not receive its first aircraft until August. At first it undertook defence and convoy patrol work before it moved to Bengal and began operating over Burma. The unit turned to reconnaissance, ground attack and bomber escort duties until early 1944 when it re-equipped with Spitfires. These aircraft were initially employed for air defence but as the Japanese Army Air Force ceased to present a threat No 155 Squadron increasingly turned to ground attack missions. In September 1945 the unit flew to Singapore and in February 1946 it moved to Sumatra. It provided tactical air support to land forces until it was disbanded on 31 August 1946.

On 1 September 1954 the unit reformed at RAF Kuala Lumpur as a helicopter transport and evacuation support unit. On 3 June 1959 it merged with No 194 Squadron to form No 110 Squadron.


AIRCRAFT

DH9A 1918 - 1918
Mohawk 1942 - 1944
Spitfire VIII/XIV 1944 - 1946
Whirlwind 2/4 1954 – 1959


Reference Sources

The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force
James J Halley Air Britain (Historians) Ltd 1988

RAF Squadrons
Wg Cdr C G Jefford Airlife 2001

Fighter Squadrons of the RAF and their aircraft
John D R Rawlings Crecy Books 1993

Coastal Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their aircraft
John D R Rawlings Jane’s Publishing 1982

« back to all squadrons