No.147 Squadron

In front of a staff, a shuttle
Badge
In front of a staff, a shuttle
Motto
Assidue portamus - We carry with regularity
Formed
01 May 1918
Disbanded
15 September 1958

No 147 Squadron formed in Egypt as a fighter-reconnaissance unit but did not become operational before the Armistice and was disbanded in March 1919.

It was reformed on 17 October 1941 as a heavy bomber squadron although personnel did not assemble until January 1942. It received no Liberator bombers and acted as maintenance party until disbanded on 15 February 1943.

On 5 September 1944 the unit reformed as a transport squadron. It supplied freight to units in France, Belgium and Italy. As civil airlines re-established themselves after the war the squadron wound down its scheduled services and on 13 September 1946 disbanded.

On 1 February 1953 No 1 Long Range Ferry Unit at RAF Benson was renumbered No 147 Squadron. The unit was involved in ferrying Sabres, Venoms, Swifts and Hunters to RAF bases. On 15 September 1958 it amalgamated with No 167 Squadron to form the Ferry Squadron.


AIRCRAFT

Various types 1918 - 1919
Dakota 1944 - 1946
Anson XII/19 1944 – 1946


Reference Sources

The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force
James J Halley Air Britain (Historians) Ltd 1988

RAF Squadrons
Wg Cdr C G Jefford Airlife 2001

Bomber Squadrons of the RAF and their aircraft
Phillip J R Moyes Macdonald & Jane’s 1976


« back to all squadrons