No.133 Squadron

On a hurt semee of mullets an eagle displayed
Badge
On a hurt semee of mullets an eagle displayed
Motto
Let us to the battle
Formed
01 March 1918
Disbanded
29 September 1942

No 133 Squadron was originally formed at Ternhill on 1 March 1918 as a night-bomber training unit but was disbanded at RAF Castle Bromwich on 4 July 1918 before becoming operational. On 28 October it began to form again at RAF Castle Bromwich but the Armistice resulted in this being abandoned.

On 1 August 1941 the unit was reformed at RAF Coltishall as the third “Eagle” Squadron, a fighter unit to be manned by American personnel, becoming operational in late September. In October it moved to Northern Ireland on convoy duties, later moving back to England, and on 5 February 1942 gained its first victory.

During April the unit took part in wing sweeps over France and was involved in the defence of York during the German Baedeker Blitz. It eventually concentrated on sweeps and bomber escort operations. In June 1942 it covered the commando raid between Boulogne and Le Touquet and on 19 August the unit took part in the Dieppe Raid, destroying six aircraft.

The Squadron continued to conduct sweeps until 29 September 1942 when it was disbanded and absorbed by the USAAF as their 336th (Pursuit) Fighter Squadron in 4th Fighter Group.


AIRCRAFT

FE2B 1918 - 1918
Hurricane IIB 1941 - 1941
Spitfire IIA/VA/VB/IXC 1941 - 1942


Reference Sources

The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force
James J Halley Air Britain (Historians) Ltd 1988

RAF Squadrons
Wg Cdr C G Jefford Airlife 2001

Fighter Squadrons of the RAF and their aircraft
John D R Rawlings Macdonald & Company 1969

« back to all squadrons