No.125 Squadron

A caribou on a mount
Badge
A caribou on a mount
Motto
Nunquam domandi - Never to be tamed
Formed
01 February 1918
Disbanded
10 May 1957

Formed on 1 February 1918 as a light bomber unit, No 125 Squadron did not achieve operational status before disbandment on 1 August 1918.

Reformed on 16 June 1941 at Colerne, No 125 Squadron became a night-fighter squadron operating Defiants, becoming operational in late September, operating over south Wales and the west.

February 1942 saw the squadron re-equip with Beaufighters, sometimes supplementing these with Defiants and Hurricanes. During November 1943 No 125 Squadron moved to RAF Valley in north Wales to patrol the Irish Sea, a detachment being sent to Ballyhalbert in order to provide coverage from both sides.

In February 1944 No 125 Squadron converted to Mosquitos, using them to give nocturnal aerial cover to the Normandy invasion forces. After the D-Day landings the squadron moved to RAF Middle Wallop, helping to protect London from V-1 flying bombs and German intruders. The squadron saw out the war protecting London with the occasional sweep over the Low Countries and maritime reconnaissance operation, being disbanded in Yorkshire on 20 November 1945.

On 31 March 1955 No 125 Squadron was re-established and armed with Meteor night fighters. From November 1955 the squadron began replacing the Meteors with Venoms, operating these until disbandment on 10 May 1957.


AIRCRAFT

D.H.4 1918 - 1918
D.H.9 1918 - 1918
Defiant 1941 - 1942
Beaufighter 1942 - 1944
Mosquito 1944 - 1945
Meteor 1955 - 1956
Venom 1955 - 1957


Reference Sources

The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force
James J Halley Air Britain (Historians) Ltd 1988

RAF Squadrons
Wg Cdr C G Jefford Airlife 2001

Fighter Squadrons of the RAF and their aircraft
John D R Rawlings Crecy Books 1993

« back to all squadrons