No.118 Squadron

On waves of the sea an ancient ship in full sail in flames
Badge
On waves of the sea an ancient ship in full sail in flames
Motto
Occido redeoque - kill and return
Formed
01 January 1918
Disbanded
31 August 1962

No 118 Squadron was formed on 1 January 1918 at Catterick. Intended to operate as a night bomber unit, the squadron was disbanded again on 7 September 1918.

20 February 1941 saw No 118 Squadron reform at Filton with Spitfires. Convoy patrols started on March 28 but from June the squadron provided bomber escort and began sweeps over France. In January 1943, sweeps over the Netherlands commenced, the squadron moving to East Anglia to facilitate this change in target.

In September 1943 No 118 Squadron relocated to northern Scotland on defensive duties, before joining the Second Tactical Air Force in January 1944. In March the squadron moved to the Orkneys. Bomber escort and offensive sweeps restarted in July 1944 but in January 1945 the Spitfires were replaced with Mustangs for long-range bomber escort duties. These commenced on 1 February and ended on 3 May 1945. No 118 Squadron was disbanded on 10 March 1946.

The unit reformed with Vampire fighter-bombers at Fassberg, Germany on 10 May 1951. Venoms replaced the Vampires in November 1953 and Hunter fighters replaced these in May 1955. The squadron was disbanded on 22 August 1957.

Serving with Transport Command the Sycamore Flight of No 228 Squadron became No 118 Squadron on 1 September 1959, disbanding on 31 August 1962.


AIRCRAFT

F.E.2b 1918 - 1918
Spitfire II/V/IX 1941 - 1945
Mustang III/IV 1945 - 1946
Vampire 5 1951 - 1953
Venom 1 1953 - 1955
Hunter 4 1955 - 1957
Sycamore HR.14 1960 - 1962


Reference Sources

The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force
James J Halley Air Britain (Historians) Ltd 1988

RAF Squadrons
Wg Cdr C G Jefford Airlife 2001

Fighter Squadrons of the RAF and their aircraft
John D R Rawlings Crecy Books 1993

Coastal Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their aircraft
John D R Rawlings Jane’s Publishing 1982

« back to all squadrons