No.112 Squadron

A cat sejant
Badge
A cat sejant
Motto
Swift in destruction
Formed
30 July 1917
Disbanded
01 July 1975

No 112 Squadron formed at Throwley as a home defence unit. The squadron undertook day and night interceptions of German bombers attacking London until the end of the war. It disbanded on 13 June 1919.

On 16 May 1939 the squadron reformed on HMS Argus en route to the Middle East. It arrived at Helwan, Egypt on 26 May 1939. When Italy declared war in June 1940 the unit provided fighter cover over the Western Desert and a detached flight provided the same service in the Sudan. In January 1941 the unit moved to Greece but in April it retreated first to Crete and then Egypt in the face of the German Balkan blitzkrieg. From July 1941 the unit again provided fighter support over the North African battlefield. Following the successful conclusion of the Tunisian campaign it first moved to Sicily and then Italy in support of Allied ground forces. After a period of occupation duties the unit disbanded on 30 December 1946.

On 12 May 1951 the squadron reformed at RAF Fassberg, Germany as a fighter-bomber unit. The unit disbanded on 31 May 1957.

On 1 August 1960 the squadron reformed at RAF Church Fenton as a surface-to-air missile unit. It disbanded on 31 March 1964. On 2 November 1964 it reformed at RAF Woodhall Spa again with missiles. It moved to Cyprus where it disbanded on 1 July 1975.


AIRCRAFT

Pup 1917 - 1918
Camel 1918 - 1919
Gladiator 1939 - 1941
Gauntlet 1940 - 1940
Tomahawk 1941 - 1941
Kittyhawk I/III/IV 1941 - 1944
Mustang III/IV 1944 - 1945
Bloodhound 1 1960 - 1964
Bloodhound 2 1964 – 1975


Reference Sources

The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force
James J Halley Air Britain (Historians) Ltd 1988

RAF Squadrons
Wg Cdr C G Jefford Airlife 2001

Fighter Squadrons of the RAF and their aircraft
John D R Rawlings Crecy Books 1993

« back to all squadrons