Ubique sine mora - Everywhere without delay
18 November 1918
15 September 1958
No 167 Squadron was formed as the second heavy bomber squadron in No 27 Group, but the Armistice came before the Squadron was operational and so it was disbanded on 21 May 1919.
On 6 April 1942 it reformed at RAF Scorton as a day fighter unit. Armed with Spitfires bought by the Gold Coast it was named No 167 (Gold Coast) Squadron and became operational on 8 May. After a period in the North of Scotland, providing air defence for coastal convoys, the squadron moved to East Anglia to carry out shipping reconnaissance and intruder operations over the Low Countries. The large number of Dutch pilots in No 167 Squadron led to the decision to make it a Dutch formation and so on 12 June 1943 it was renumbered
No 322 Squadron.
No 167 Squadron reformed as a transport squadron in No 110 Wing on 21 October 1944 and it began flying regular services to Allied bases in Europe and Africa. On 1 February 1946 the squadron was again disbanded.
On 1 February 1953 No 3 (Long-range) Ferry Unit was redesignated No 167 Squadron. Over the next five years the squadron ferried 2750 aircraft to RAF units both at home and overseas until it was merged with No 147 Squadron to form the Ferry Squadron on 15 September 1958.
Handley Page V/1500 1918 - 1919
Spitfire VB/VC 1942 - 1943
Warwick I/III 1944 - 1946
Anson XII 1945 - 1946
Dakota III/IV 1945 - 1946
Valetta C.1 1953 - 1958
Ferrying various types 1953 - 1958
The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force
James J Halley Air Britain (Historians) Ltd 1988
Wg Cdr C G Jefford Airlife 2001
Bomber Squadrons of the RAF and their aircraft
Phillip J R Moyes Macdonald & Jane’s 1976
Coastal Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and their aircraft
John D R Rawlings Jane’s Publishing 1982
Fighter Squadrons of the RAF and their aircraft
John D R Rawlings Crecy Books 1993